Friday, July 22, 2011

Keeping a kitchen clean

is difficult, especially with eight people using it. But if there are eight people using it, then there should be at least seven people consistently cleaning it, right? I think so. Five of my roommates are pretty decent at helping out in the kitchen, but I have one roommate who I've never seen take care of her own dish or do anything besides make messes, so I decided to do something about it. Four of my roommates were hanging out under the stairs (I won't tell you what they were doing). I walked right up and called to the lazy roommate by name. "Want to come help me with dishes?" She was surprisingly eager, and I just went with it.
She stood beside me, transfixed, as I filled the sink with hot water and soap. I washed a couple dishes then passed them to her side of the sink to be rinsed. I'd filled her side with water also, to save on the water bill and she just kind of stared at it. "Oh my gosh" I thought. "She's never washed a dish in her life." I tried to help her know what to do without acting like a bossy know-it-all. It took a little bit of time, but she finally started loosening up and... washing all the dishes a second time. She'd found the little brush thing full of soap and started going at it. I was so proud. She's come such a long ways since two days ago...

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I can only imagine what her mother is like!! This roommate is probably the spooner also!! What a stinker! Are you sure she isn't just playing dumb to get out of working???

    ReplyDelete